The Great Experiment Follow-Up

It was pointed out to me (thanks Myk) that I may have introduced bias by dumping the flies next to the honey.

After wracking my brain today, I have an answer to the problem.

I need a habitrail.

Yes, you read that right. A habitrail. As in the thing gerbils and mice run around in.

What I’m going to do is check Craigslist or Freecycle and get a habitrail with some extra pipe and hook it to the aquarium. I’ll raise a new batch of larvae in the habitrail and have it set up so that they can’t get to the aquarium until I let them in. Then I’ll set the three substances at equidistant points from the entry portal and release the flies that way letting them find their own way into the aquarium. Thus reducing or eliminating entry point bias.

I’ll also reduce the chance of death by dropping them.

Once I get back from BaltiCon (come find me this weekend and say HI), I’ll get started on the re-do.

Another option is to simply take the experiment out doors. But then I have to contend with other insects. Personally I think that the habitrail ideal will help eliminate more bias and foster healthier flies for the project.

I really think there would have been more of them if I hadn’t had surgery interfering with this project (see for details). I’m looking forward to this re-do. There will be videos with this one as well so stay tuned.


1 Comment

  1. Myk said,

    May 29, 2010 at 9:10 am

    When I tried a version of this experiment outdoors, I got loads of mosquitoes in the vinegar. But I’m considering re-doing it anyway.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: